How often do you stand in the kitchen, totally uninspired and unsure about “what to bake”? If this is a familiar feeling; our banana bread recipe will be your safe guard and go-to for your next cooking dilemma.
Banana bread has fast become an on-the-go snack, especially as it is so readily available in corner stores and supermarkets, all wrapped up and ready for the taking. Truth be told, the packaged banana bread we see living in the café cabinet isn’t really all that great for us.
We love the delicious aroma of freshly toasted banana bread just as much as the next person. We also like to make sensible food choices, and refuse to be fooled by the sugar-laden supermarket varieties.
Our solution? Why, we make our own of course! We crave banana bread that we can count on: guilt-free, nutritious and tasty. Is that too much to ask for? We think not. Our LJ Active chef has outdone herself with a banana chia seed bread that packs a nutritional punch, with the help of our buddy, the banana (high in potassium) and omega-3 scoring chia seeds – what a combo!
Recipe Of The Week: Banana Chia Seed Bread
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: Serves 8
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. rapadura or coconut sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour, or other flour of choice
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. bi-carb soda
- 3 overripe bananas
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds + extra for sprinkling
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line a loaf tin.
- In a mixer bowl, add the liquid coconut oil and rapadura sugar. Using the beater attachment, beat the two together for approximately 5 minutes, they should have formed a nice ‘cream’.
- Then, one at a time, add a room temperature egg, beating each for 2 minutes before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients: the flour, cinnamon, chia seeds, baking powder and bi-carb.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, and mix just until the ingredients incorporate – do not overbeat at this point. While it is mixing, add in the milk.
- In the same bowl the dry ingredients were in, mash the bananas.
- Fold the bananas through the batter using a metal spoon, and pour it into the lined loaf tin.
- Sprinkle chia seeds over the top of the loaf.
- Bake the banana bread in the 170C oven for 20-25mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy as a delicious snack!