Pizza lovers – do we have a recipe for you! This healthy pizza recipe has a sweet potato base and is the perfect post Active Nation Day treat 😋
Why we love Sweet Potato Pizza 🍕!
Want to add more vitamins, minerals and fibre to your diet?! Yes please! Swapping white flour products such as pizza bases, bread and muffins with vegetable filled options is a great way to increase nutrition in your diet.
White wheat flour has been processed so that the fibre rich bran is removed along with all the vitamins and minerals. So much so, that it’s often fortified with synthetic vitamins to make up for this (boo). Also, with all the fibre removed, carbohydrates go straight to the bloodstream causing blood sugar spikes.
Using vegetables, nut meal and eggs, we can make a super delicious and nutritionally superior alternative.
We love this sweet potato pizza base as an alternative to flour based pizza bases because it contains…
Sweet potato – rich in fibre, vitamin C, iron and calcium as well as a rich source of beta carotene, a potent anti aging antioxidant in the body. Plus it adds to your 5 a day!
Almond meal – Almond meal is a nutritious gluten free alternative to wheat flour. It’s rich in vitamin E for healthy skin and Magnesium to prevent muscle cramps. Plus its balance of monounsaturated fats and protein help to reduce blood sugar spikes (compared to wheat flour).
Free range eggs – Eggs are a powerhouse of nutrition. Rich in choline for brain health, protein for muscle recovery, lutein and vitamin A for eye health. Plus eggs from pasture raised chickens also contain omega 3.
Other great vege swaps include vegetable noodles like zucchini, sweet potato and parsnip for white pasta noodles. See some of our fav recipes here.
Beetroot & Sweet Potato Pizza
Ingredients - Base
- 1 large sweet potato, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups almond meal
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
Ingredients - Toppings
- 200g ricotta or your favourite cashew cream cheese
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 4 baby beetroot, quartered and tossed in 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 buffalo mozzarella, torn into pieces or your favourite goats cheese or vegan cheese
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup smoked olives
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic drizzle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a pizza tray.
- In a frypan heat olive oil to medium heat, and saute grated sweet potato 5 minutes. Stirring until softened.
- Place in a mixing bowl with almond meal, eggs, oregano and salt and salt and mix well to combine.
- Press into 1 cm thick circular base.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile saute spinach in 1 teaspoon of olive oil for 2 minutes and remove form pan.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over low heat in pan and caramelize onion for 7-10 minutes over very low heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon maple syrup.
- Spoon ricotta onto pizza base evenly.
- Top with sautéed spinach, beetroot, mozzarella, asparagus, walnuts and olives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until mozzarella is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- 🍕 time!