Snaps for whoever invented the wagon wheel… the chocolate-coated cookie and marshmallow sandwich still goes down as one of our favourite childhood treats (alongside jam drops, peppermint slice and coconut ice of course). So it’s time to take a trip down memory lane, but this trip is a slightly healthier one. That’s right, this Vegan Wagon Wheel is also gluten-free, dairy-free and completely Paleo making it perfect for all those with food intolerance’s.
Vegan Wagon Wheel
- ¾ cup rice flour (110gr)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda (natron)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (25gr)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (80ml)
- ½ cup almond butter (100gr)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp tap water or more if needed
- 1½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- coconut cream from 1 can of coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 5 oz. dairy-free dark chocolate (150gr)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- For the cookies, combine the rice flour with baking powder, baking soda and cacao powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla and sea salt.
- Add the bowl with the liquid ingredients to the other bowl with the dry ingredients. Add water and stir until well combined.
- Put the dough in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 345F (175°)
- Once the dough is slightly firm, form little balls with your hand and place them on a lined baking sheet. Make your fingers wet with water and press them down until you have a little disc shape.
- The cookies can be close to each other as they will not raise significantly.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes and then let cool down.
- For the chia jam, in a small pan, heat all ingredients on medium heat for 5 minutes and the let sit for another 5 minutes.
- For the coconut cream, whip the upper part of the coconut milk with the maple syrup and put into a piping bag.
- Layer the cookies and make a cookie dough sandwich with 2 cookies, a coconut and a raspberry jam layer.
- Freeze the cookie sandwiches for at least 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl on low heat, melt the chocolate with the coconut oil and the coat the Cookie sandwiches. (helpful instructions in the blog post)