‘Tis the season to put pumpkin in everything, including your oatmeal! As soon as October comes along, pumpkin (and pumpkin spice!) seems to make everything just that little bit more special. This Supercharged Pumpkin Oatmeal recipe is no exception.
I know that pumpkin may not be an ingredient that springs to mind when you think about breakfast, but once you give this nutritious and comforting recipe a try, you won’t look back.
Protein packed, filling, deliciously fluffy and on point for the season, this oatmeal recipe ticks all of the boxes.
Supercharge My Oats!
SERVES: 1 bowl
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- ½ ripe banana, sliced or 1 tbsp Natvia (stevia)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract or 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger + allspice)
- pinch of sea salt
- pepitas and linseeds for topping (optional)
- In saucepan over high heat, combine the almond milk or water, banana or stevia, pumpkin, spices, vanilla and salt.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and add oats.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring regularly, until liquid is absorbed (about 5-6 mins).
- Add egg whites and whisk constantly until a thick, fluffy consistency is reached (about 1-2 mins).
- Once liquid is absorbed, serve in a bowl with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
Try not to ‘scramble’ the eggs by over stirring when added.
Try drizzling with your favourite nut butter (mine’s almond) and topping with pecans for a dose of healthy fats.
Will you be adding some pumpkin love to your next bowl of oatmeal?
Sally, The Fit Foodie is a self-confessed fitness + health foodie lover.
Concocting high-protein foods packed with good fats and wholesome nutrients, Sally shares her recipes to inspire other clean-eating journeys.
Blogging about her foodie adventures (and subsequently overcoming orthorexia) has propelled Sally into freelance journalism, developing recipes and writing for a number of national health magazines. Sally is a proud Ambassador for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, a yoga teacher, launched her own healthy snack business (Fit Mixes) and this year wrote her very first cookbook – Love Move Eat (Random House, March 2017).
Sally’s passion can been felt in her delicious, nourishing recipes.