So, you’ve read up about complex carbohydrates and wondering how to implement them into your nourish regime? Want to fuel your body with delicious energy pre and post work out? Well we’ve got you covered. This delicious concoction of gooey sweet potato with brown rice and the crunch of smoky chickpeas is the perfect meal before your afternoon cardio and conveniently a delicious winter warmer. Sweet potato and brown rice create the perfect combo to fuel and condition your body, and get it ready for your next workout! This is definitely a favourite to put on the mid week dinner rotation too. Any left overs will make the perfect accompaniment for your lunch the next day, throw in with a salad, tuna or crusty sourdough.
Refuel & Reload: A Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe!
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: Serves 2
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can chickpeas (drained)
- 2 tbsps coconut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- approx. 8 chopped almonds
- small bunch of chopped coriander
- smoked paprika (to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- squeeze of lemon, for the end
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius (356 degrees F), pierce the sweet potato a couple times with a fork, wrap it well in aluminium foil and place on a baking tray
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, toss the chickpeas in enough oil to coat, salt + pepper to taste and a little smoked paprika
- Spread them out on a lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Set aside to cool.
- To serve: Split open the sweet potato and season the flesh with salt + pepper. Place the cooked rice, some of the chickpeas and chopped almonds on top/inside. Garnish with the coriander, a good squeeze of fresh lemon and an extra sprinkle of smoked paprika.