Roast Cauliflower with Hemp Flour Flat Bread
Cauliflower. The humble veggie that seems to be experiencing it’s renaissance. Recognised for its nutritional properties and versatility (no more boiled, soggy cauli here!) delicious and interesting ways to cook and use cauliflower are popping up everywhere. This one is from the team over at Hemp Australia and uses hemp flour to make a tasty flat bread – YUM!
This recipe that can also be made vegan with the use of coconut yoghurt
All the components to the dish can be made ahead of time and stored well in the fridge. The flat bread recipe makes extra and store well in the fridge for a few days. #mealpreppable
- 1 whole cauliflower, outer leaves trimmed
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cup flour or GF flour
- ½ cup hemp flour or protein
- 2 cups yoghurt – dairy or coconut
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- ¼ tahini
- 1 cup yoghurt – dairy or coconut
- 2 clove garlic
- juice 1 lemon
- ¼ cup chopped pistachio or almonds
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 sprigs mint, picked
- 2 sprigs dill, picked
- Bring a pot of water to the boil that’s big enough to hold the cauliflower in.
- Add 2 tbsp salt to the water then the cauliflower. Continue to boil the cauliflower for 10 minutes before draining and allowing air dry for 15 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower onto a baking tray drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt.
- Place the cauliflower in the oven and roast for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower has become well caramelised.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before dressing and serving.
- For the Flat Breads, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and kneed with your hand for 5 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let the dough rest for 5 more minutes.
- Dust a bench with extra flour, cut small pieces of dough about the size of larger golf balls and then a roll out into approx 3mm thick rounds.
- Heat a non stick fry-pan over a medium heat until very hot.
- Brush both sides of the flat breads with oil and cook one by one in the pan. Approx. 30 seconds each side – you should see some small golden spots on both sides.
- Stack the flatbreads on a plate and cover with foil until ready to use.
- To make the sauce, mix the tahini with the yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the herbs and set aside.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and remove the seeds by holding each half over a bowl and tapping the back of the pomegranate with a wooden spoon.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ a lemon over the cauliflower, spoon over the tahini yoghurt then top with the herb, nuts & pomegranate.
- Carve the cauliflower onto the flat breads and top with some simple dressed leaves, sliced tomato and hummus if desired.
What’s your fave cauliflower recipe?