Raw desserts, oh sweet, delicious raw desserts. Whoever thought this up is a pure genius in our eyes. To think you can take a normal, sugar-laden cake and turn it into a healthier, more scrumptious variety, and without even having to put it in the oven – now that is impressive. Our LJ Active Chef Rhi has pulled out all the stops with this recipe, and has provided a brief rundown on the topic of Raw desserts. Read about it here.
Raw desserts have been gaining major traction in the health and wellness world. We receive constant images on Instagram of you sporty sisters creating and conjuring up some truly inspiring raw treats. So, we thought we would present a recipe to you guys. This is our extremely nourishing raw carrot cake.
Recipe Of The Week: Raw Carrot Cake
Total Time: minutes
- 3 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup almonds (activated if possible)
- 1/2 cup pecans (activated if possible)
- 1 cup medjool dates (approx 10 large)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1/4 cup water
- For icing: 1 1/2 cups cashews (activated if possible)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine the almonds, pecans, and oats in a food processor. Blend until roughly ground. Add the medjool dates, coconut and spices and blend again, adding water gradually.
- It should be a cake batter consistency. Add the grated carrot, and blend for around 30 seconds to incorporate the carrot into the batter.
- You may need to scrape down the sides. Press the batter into a lined cake or loaf tin. Smooth the top. Put into the freezer for 1-2 hrs or until firm before icing.
- Place all ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth. Spread evenly the set carrot cake and return to the freezer for another 1-2 hours before portioning.
Chef’s Note: to activate your almonds or pecans means following the required activation process of soaking them in water for up to 12 hours. It is believed that during this process the enzyme inhibitors are deactivated and brings the nut to life. Drain and leave to dry. Easy.
Try it out for yourself and let us know what you think!