If your peepers loved the wild mushroom frittata and chilli chicken san choy bow, then you’ll equally love these two little gems with a hint of pan asian and a little something from the whole food market. Eating healthy never tasted so good.
Let’s get cookin’!
- 4 baby buk choy (600g), halved
- 500g (1 pound) choy sum, trimmed, cut into 6cm (2½-inch) lengths
- 2 chicken breast fillets (340g)
- 4cm (1½-inch) piece fresh ginger (20g), peeled
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tablespoons coarsely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- soy sesame dressing:
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Place buk choy and choy sum over base of a large bamboo steamer. Cut chicken diagonally crossways into three pieces; place on vegetables.
- Cut ginger lengthways into thin strips, cut into matchstick-sized pieces. Sprinkle ginger, peppercorns, rind and oil over chicken. Season. Steam chicken, covered, over a wok or large frying pan of simmering water for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make soy sesame dressing by whisking ingredients in a small jug until combined.
- Serve chicken and vegetables, drizzled with dressing and onion.
Roast pumpkin and chickpea salad
- 750g (1 1/2 pounds) butternut pumpkin, peeled, chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup (35g) unsalted pistachios
- 400g (12½ ounces) canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 small red onion (100g), sliced thinly
- 150g (4½ ounces) baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh chives
- 60g (2 ounces) goats cheese, crumbled
- preserved lemon vinaigrette
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped preserved lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Combine pumpkin and oil in a large baking dish; season. Roast about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place nuts on a baking tray; roast, in oven, about 3 minutes or until golden. Remove from tray immediately.
- Make preserved lemon vinaigrette by combining ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well.
- Place pumpkin in a large bowl with chickpeas, onion, spinach leaves and vinaigrette; toss gently to combine. Serve salad sprinkled with nuts, chives and cheese.
Nutritional count per serving: 22g total fat (7g saturated fat); 1849kJ (440 cal); 39g carbohydrate; 16.4g protein; 7g fibre
Which recipe will you be making today?