Here at MNB, we’re big believers in preparation for the week ahead. From deadlines to spontaneous invitations, you just never know what kind of curve balls may be thrown your way. On those busy days when you may not have time to whip up breakfast, find yourself gravitating towards the biscuit tin at 3pm or just need some convenient pre or post workout nourishment, a granola bar can be the ideal grab-and-go to tide you over. They’re mess-free, finger licking good, full of glorious protein and you can tote them pretty much anywhere. Check out our berry bars (that we even dipped in a bit of chocolate) that will make your life oh-so easy with a delicious snack ready when you need it.
Super berry and cacao Granola Bars
Makes: 12 bars Preparation time: 15 mintues Cooking time: 25 minutes
You will need:
- 1 cup oats + ½ cup oats extra
- ½ cup roughly chopped almonds
- ½ cup roughly chopped macadamias
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the chocolate coating:
- 200 grams of 70% dark chocolate, melted in double boiled.
- Or home made chocolate (recipe here)
Let’s make it:
- Preheat oven 165C. Line a 20 cm lamington tin. In a food processor pulse 1 cup oats, almonds and macadamias to rough texture. Add in rasins, cranberries, goji berries, sesame seeds, chia seeds and pulse to combine.
- Add in remaining ingredients and extra oats and mix until just combined. Press into tin and bake for 25-30 minutes. If browning too quickly cover with foil.
- Cool in tin. Once cooled slice into bars. Then dip ½ bar in melted dark chocolate. Chill in refrigerator.