Salmon and strawberries, an interesting combination I hear you say? Don’t be put off by pairing this sweet berry with your oily fish, because let me tell you – it’s a flavour explosion your mouth is salivating for!
Of all the different types of fish, salmon has received the most praise for being a nutritional marvel. This brain food is an excellent source of high-quality protein, vitamins and minerals (including potassium, selenium and vitamin B12) but it is their content of omega-3 fatty acids that receives the most attention. The most beneficial omega-3 fats occur naturally in oily fish as eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA). They contribute to healthy brain function, healthy heart, joints and general wellbeing.
Teamed with the high antioxidant benefit of strawberries and anti-inflammatory properties of basil, this meal is a nutritional nourishing powerhouse for your body.
- 2 Salmon Filets, Skin on
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
Strawberry Basil Salsa
- 2 cups strawberries, small diced
- ¼ cup red onion, small diced
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, very finely sliced into ribbons
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
- In a heavy pan heat the coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle the salmon with salt on both sides. Place the salmon skin side down in the pan. Cook without moving for about 3 minutes and then flip over to the skin side up. Cook until crispy on the outside and just cooked through in the centre, about 6 minutes total.
- Gently combine everything in a medium sized bowl and season to taste.
- Spoon the salsa over the hot crispy fish and serve immediately.