Ah, chicken nuggets. Undoubtably one of the most delicious and favourite foods of our childhood. Birthday parties, after school snacks or a regular on the dinner rotation, lord knows what was actually in those questionably shaped pieces. We certainly have missed the novelty, but not the heavy deep fried business that comes with it. There’s sadly some things we need to leave behind when we grow up, but where there’s a healthy nourishing will, there’s a way – and this time it involves a little help of almond meal! Talk about a seriously healthy after school snack for your little ones, or simply a quick and easy dinner to whip up – we’ve healthified classic chicken nuggets (much better than the store bought option) with a side of crunchy green chips!
Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Green Chips
Makes: 4 serves Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 12 minutes
You will need:
For the nuggets
- 2 organic chicken breasts, sliced 1 cm thickness
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup quinoa flour
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup mineral water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 180C. In a bowl whisk all batter ingredients until smooth.
- Heat coconut oil in fry pan to medium high heat.
- Dip chicken breast slices into batter with slotted spoon then place into oil and fry 2 minutes each side.
- Place on oven tray and bake for 4 minutes until cooked through. Place on paper towel until ready to serve. Serve with green chips.
For the green chips:
- 4 kale stems, leaves removed, washed and ripped into small pieces.
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (or coconut oil, which ever taste you prefer)
Let’s make it:
- In a lined baking tray, lay the kale pieces out and massage in the olive oil. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and salt. Bake in a 180C oven for 12 minutes or until crunchy.