As the weather becomes that tad cooler, our bodies naturally crave warm, humble cooking that Mum used to make. But of course…there’s a catch. If you tend to be watching your waistline, a large serving of lasagne can become a key sabotage to your healthy eating/move routine. Darn it. But hey, don’t be disheartened, because we are firm believers of eating sensibly. We always adapt the ‘everything in moderation’ state of mind, and swap those not-so-good ingredients for the better pick of the bunch. To get the nourishing tick of approval, we have replaced the starchy pasta sheets for a beautiful layer of our fave roast vegetables – YUM! This is one dish you will want to show off to your family and friends, plus this recipe can be 100% vegetarian friendly, simply omit the chicken mince.
So, get ready to cook the best chicken & vegetable lasagne recipe…ever! Well, in our opinion anyway smile
The Best Chicken & Vegetable Lasagne Recipe…Ever!
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings: Serves 4 - 6
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g chicken mince
- 400g tomatoes, freshly diced or tinned
- 1 tbsp tamari or coconut amino acids (or salt-reduced soy sauce)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 capsicums, seed and pith removed
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 large zucchinis
- coconut oil for drizzling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp spelt flour
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 100g pecorino or Parmesan, grated
- 2 cups spinach or rocket
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- In a pot on medium heat, saute the onion in the coconut oil until softened
- Add the garlic, tamari and chicken mince and stir well. Turn the heat down a little to medium-low, and regularly stir the chicken mince so it cooks through.
- Add the tomatoes, put the lid on and turn to low, leaving it to slowly simmer while you prep the veggies.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Slice all the veggies into thin strips length ways
- Place flat onto lined baking tray and drizzle a little bit of coconut oil over. Roast in the 180C oven until softened and slightly browned. Cooking time depends on the vegetables, but sweet potato will take approx 25mins, capsicum 20mins and eggplant and zucchini will take 10mins.
- While waiting for the vegetables to roast, make the cheese sauce.
- In a pot on a medium-low heat add the oil and flour. With a whisk stir continuously, ensuring you don't miss the edges of the pot. Cook the flour for around 5 minutes five minutes, or until it becomes fragrant.
- Then pour the milk in, continuing to whisk. Add the paprika and half of the grated cheese.
- After a few minutes the milk should noticeable thicken. Take off the heat.
- Then, line a large baking tray and start to layer the roasted vegetables. Try to prevent gaps in the vegetables, and in between layers add some basil leaves or spinach.
- Once you have layered all the vegetables (leave enough for one more layer), spread the tomato and chicken mince over the top. Cover with the rest of the basil, spinach and roast vegetables.
- The final layer is the cheese sauce. Cover the top completely with the sauce, and then sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese over the top.
- Cook in the oven for around 15 minutes, or until the cheese has browned. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to tell us how you went cooking this lasagna…We love feedback!
For more nourishing recipes click here!