When it comes to festive treats and Christmas recipes, trifles are always on the ‘to make’ list. But that doesn’t mean that you need to stick to the jelly filled, whipped cream covered, soggy based trifles of the past.
It’s nearly 2019 y’all and it’s time to up our trifle game!
And we knew exactly who to turn to for a delicious, simple, healthy and stunning take on a Christmas classic… Sally, The Fit Foodie 😘
Over to you Sally! xx
Trifle is always a Christmas favourite. Some of the weird biscuit bases my mum used were pretty questionable, so I’ve skipped those (and the booze) to create a delicious dairy-free alternative that everyone can enjoy (including the kids).
Cacao and Peppermint Trifle
- 2 packets silken tofu
- 3 tsp peppermint essence
- 3 tbsp granulated stevia, or sweetener of choice
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 1 banana
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Micro Mint
- Cacao nibs
- Edible flowers
- Start by blending the peppermint layer ingredients together until smooth and set aside.
- Rinse the blender and blend together the cacao layer ingredients until smooth.
- In 4 jars, spoon in alternate layers of the peppermint and cacao mixtures, finishing with berries, mint, cacao nibs and flowers – if you’re feeling fancy.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before devouring!
Enjoy your festive trifle treat!
Sally, The Fit Foodie is a self-confessed fitness + health foodie lover.
Concocting high-protein foods packed with good fats and wholesome nutrients, Sally shares her recipes to inspire other clean-eating journeys.
Blogging about her foodie adventures (and subsequently overcoming orthorexia) has propelled Sally into
freelance journalism, developing recipes and writing for a number of national health magazines. Sally is a proud Ambassador for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, a yoga teacher, launched her own healthy snack business (Fit Mixes) and this year wrote her very first cookbook – Love Move Eat (Random House, March 2017).
Sally’s passion can been felt in her delicious, nourishing recipes.