Taco Tuesday featuring our Pulled Jackfruit Tacos ????
Jackfruit is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Fibre, Calcium and a number of antioxidants. Thanks to this combination, jackfruit is packed with goodness and is attributed with health benefits such as; managing cholesterol levels, assisting digestion, boosting immunity and bone and skin health.
Taco-bout nutritional benefits ????!
Hit play on the recipe video below and let’s get cooking. xx
It’s Taco Time!
Taco Tuesday! Pulled Jackfruit (or Pork) Tacos
Often used as a substitute in many vegetarian dishes Jackfruit is an amazing way to mimic pulled pork. But if you fancy going for the OG version, feel free to swap it out for pulled pork!
We’ve included both versions so you can mix and match or choose your fave!
Ingredients - Tacos
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 cob corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups Mexican marinated jackfruit (see recipe below) or pulled pork (see recipe below)
- ½ cup stock if needed
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- 1 packet soft taco tortillas
- 1 cos lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, smashed
- 1 yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle pepper adobo sauce or hot sauce (optional if you like it hot)
- 2 limes, quartered
Ingredients - Jackfruit
- 2 cups jackfruit flesh in brine, drained and rinsed twice under running water
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients - Pulled Pork
- 800g Pork shoulder roast
- 2 tbsps. cumin spice
- 2 tbsps. smoked paprika spice
- 2 tbsps. unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp black cracked pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- Coconut oil
Preparing the Jackfruit:
- Rub jackfruit in spices and oil.
- Let marinate 4 hours or overnight.
Preparing the Pulled Pork:
- Combine rub in a bowl (cumin, paprika, sugar, cayenne, salt, pepper, oregano).
- Lay pork on a long piece of cling wrap and cover entirely with rub. Roll pork up in the cling wrap tightly. Place on a plate and put in fridge overnight.
- Remove pork next morning from fridge and remove cling wrap. Heat coconut oil in large pan over a medium heat and brown pork on all sides.
- Place pork in slow cooker with chopped onion and garlic. Cook on low temperature for 8-12hrs until the meat is falling apart.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and place on serving plate, discard onion, garlic and juices in the slow cooker. ‘Pull’ pork apart so it has a shredded appeal.
- In a pan heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté red onion for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another minute. Add jackfruit*, capsicum, corn and black beans and cook for 4 minutes on low – medium heat until capsicum is softened and corn is tender. Add a splash of stock if sticking. (*omit if using pork)
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Arrange taco mix on tortilla with lettuce, capsicum, cucumber avocado (add pulled pork if using)
- Garnish with coriander, chipotle sauce (if using) and a squeeze of lime.
- Serve and enjoy!