When that mid-morning or afternoon snack attack sets in, make sure you’re prepared! The right emergency foods will help keep you on the right track and still satisfy that tummy grumble. These delicious muesli power bars will take the edge off any hunger! (They’re also much healthier than the traditional store-bought versions.)
They take around 5 minutes to mix up from your favourite bircher muesli combo. Then all you need to do is bake them – done!
High in protein and easily adapted to be paleo, gluten free or vegan friendly!
Muesli Power Bars
- *3 cups (350g) natural bircher muesli (see notes for gluten free)
- 1/2 cup (50g) LSA – (ground linseed + almonds + sunflower seed)
- 3 organic eggs (optional; replace with mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil or macadamia nut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw honey
- OR *3 cups combined (almond meal, seeds, walnuts + sun-dried dried fruit) for gluten free
- Preheat oven to 160°C – fan forced.
- Combine muesli, LSA, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, olive oil and honey in one large bowl until mixed through.
- Spoon into a baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden.
- Cool then cut into 16 pieces.
NOTES AND INSPIRATION:
- For gluten-free or paleo diets substitute bircher muesli with 3 cups combined (almond meal, seeds, walnuts + sun-dried dried fruit).
- For those with egg allergies, replace with mashed banana in the recipe.
- Double the protein and add 2 tablespoons Healthy Chef Protein.
- These bars will keep in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Celebrity chef, nutritionist and entrepreneur Teresa Cutter has successfully pioneered the world of health + wellness with her nutritional product line of functional food supplements and healthy cookbooks.