Incredible Seed Bread! This one does take a little bit longer to bake, but it is SO worth it.
Full of nutrient rich ingredients, and most importantly ABSOLUTELY delish – perfect for weekend baking!
Add your favourite toppers, sweet or savoury…YUM.
Enjoy, L x
Lorna’s Incredible Seed Bread + Toppers!
- 1/3 cup (30g) psyllium husks
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) filtered water
- 1 cup (150g) sunflower seed kernels
- 1/2 cup (100g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1/2 cup (85g) activated buckwheats groats (see Lorna’s Tips)
- 1/2 cup (80g) linseeds (flaxseeds)
- 1/2 cup (80g) white sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup (50g) black chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup (60g) cold-pressed extra-virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350 °F Grease a 10cm x 20cm (4in x 8in) loaf pan with a 1.5- litre (6-cup) capacity. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2in) over long sides.
- Combine psyllium husks with the water in a small bowl; stand for 5 minutes or until it forms a thick gel-like paste.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except rosemary, in a large bowl; add psyllium gel. Using hands, mix well and massage the gel through the seeds. Spoon mixture into pan; smooth top. Stand for 1 hour to absorb liquid. Scatter with rosemary if you like.
- Bake loaf for 1 hour or until firm to touch and golden. Cool in pan; turn onto a wire rack. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
HUMMUS, CHERRY TOMATOES & BALSAMIC GLAZE – Spread 4 slices bread with 1/3 cup hummus. Divide a handful of sliced cherry tomatoes between slices and drizzle each with balsamic glaze or vinegar.
GOAT’S CHEESE & CUCUMBER – Spread 125g goat’s cheese combined with 2 tablespoons chopped chives on 4 slices of bread. Top with sliced cucumbers, dill and extra chives.
PEANUT BUTTER, BANANA & BLUEBERRIES – Spread 4 slices of bread with 1/3 cup of peanut butter. Thinly slice 1 banana and divide between slices. Top with blueberries.
GREEK YOGURT & STRAWBERRIES – Spread 4 slices of bread with 1/3 cup of greek yogurt (I loved the vanilla kind). Thinly slice a handful of strawberries and divide between slices. Enjoy!
NUTRITIONAL COUNT PER SLICE protein (9.6g); carbohydrate (6.8g); total fat (23.8g); fibre (7.2g)
LORNA’S TIPS Activated buckwheat groats are available from health food stores. You can substitute with rolled oats, nuts or more seeds, if you prefer. To make a sweeter bread, add dried cranberries or dried apricots in step 3 and serve with labne and sliced banana.
MAKE & STASH Store bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or slice and freeze for up to 2 months