First there was hybrid cars, and then there were hybrid animals (jugs, labradoodle, cavoodles!) and now we’re cross breeding vegetables?! Say what? Recently, something very exciting happened in Coles supermarkets across the nation. A farm in South Australia created a hybrid of Brussels Sprouts and Kale. Like when Harry met Sally, this was a match made in heaven, everyone say hello to, Kalettes!
These guys are as cute as a button, and are cool as hell. So much so, they’ve already got a flourishing hashtag on Instagram.
This little vege can fit in the palm of your hand and are an excellent addition to the weekly dinner or lunch rotation. They’re a mild nutty flavour with a perfect crunch – without the total classic brussels taste (which we found much more palatable) Just incase you were feeling a little over classic curly kale, these guys might be what will re-ignite your love for the cabbage cousin. And before you start thinking this lil’ guy is genetically modified, fear not, for it’s a hybrid which means that the Kale and Brussels Sprouts are cross pollinated through traditional methods.
We tested them out in the active kitchen with our active chef and we’re hooked…
Warm lemon marinated kalettes with roasted macadamia and garlic vinaigrette + shaved chicken with parsley and pepitas
- 1 punnet of Kalettes (from Coles), cut in halves
- 1 tablespoon pepitas, roasted
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, roasted
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup macadamias, roasted
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, roasted
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a tray with baking paper and roast macadamias, pine nuts, garlic and pepitas for 10 minutes.
- To prepare kalettes, Bring a 1 litre pot of water to boil and blanch for 1 minute. Rinse with cool water, pat dry with clean tea towel and massage with olive oil, salt and lemon juice. Set aside.
- To make dressing place macadamias and garlic in blender with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and salt and pepper then blend until well combined and creamy.
- To finish toss kalettes in dressing, sprinkle on pepitas and pine nuts. Serve with juicy chicken breast if desired.