Some people think that just because we’re a team of nutritionists, fitness fanatics and clean eating crusaders, that we maintain pristine diet 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but we’re going to let you in on a little secret… we don’t. We’re human too, and just like everyone else we also have moments when we choose to blatantly ignore everything we know, all in the name of a donut. Yep, it’s called balance baby, and we’re big believers in it. But there are some things that particularly test our willpower, and when we accidently discovered Greek Gyros (pronounced YEE-ROS) when scrolling through photos of a friend lapping up the local cuisine while enjoying a euro summer, there was no going back. So being the culinary creative clean eating team we are, we healthified it – and quite frankly – we absolutely nailed it. Now we can eat Gyros all day, errrrrday… and now you can too!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the chickpea bread:
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon savoury yeast flakes
- Pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil to fry
Let’s make it:
In a bowl combine all ingredients and whisk well. If mixture is too thick add a little extra water. Heat coconut oil over medium high heat and pour in 1/3 cup fulls of mixture. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side.
For the filling:
4 Lamb fillets or 1 piece lamb back strap
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 sprig Rosemary
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/2 sweet potato, cut into wedges
6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 red onion, sliced into wedges
3 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
5 mint leaves
Juice of a lemon
Let’s put it together:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Combine lamb with spices and sear in oil 1-2 minutes each side. Place in oven for 7 minutes. Rest for 7 minutes. Slice thinly.
- Boil sweet potato 5 minutes then coat in 3 teaspoons coconut oil and pinch salt and bake in oven 25 minutes.
- Sauté onion in 2 teaspoons coconut oil on low to medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Combine yoghurt, mint and lemon juice.
- Assemble gyros with lamb, wedges and salad and drizzle with yoghurt