Choc Caramel and Superfood are not usually two words you’d associate with one another, but this recipe from the ever fabulous The Fit Foodie is an exception to the rule. The combination of creamy tahini, smooth vanilla and crisp cacao are such a winning combo, that you won’t believe these bites are bountiful in health benefits… but it’s true. Tahini is crazy high in calcium and promotes good bone health, prevents against migraines and even provides relief from symptoms of PMS, while cacao has 40 x the amount of antioxidants as blueberries to give you gorgeous, glowey skin, as well as magnesium to help increase energy levels, while calming nerves and anxiety. What more could a girl want?
We know what we’re making for dessert tonight!
Superfood Choc-Caramel Bites:
For the caramel:
- 1 tablespoon tahini (heaped)
- ½ tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon granulated stevia (such as Natvia)
- ½ teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 10g baobab powder (optional)
- pinch Himalayan sea salt
For the chocolate:
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 4-5 drops liquid stevia (sub 1tsp favourite sweetener as desired)
- 1 tablespoon bee pollen (optional – not vegan)
- In a bowl, add the tahini (warmed slightly if possible), coconut oil, sweeteners, vanilla and salt.
- Stir until thoroughly combined, then add the Baobab and stir again until thickened.
- Refrigerate while prep the chocolate mix.
- Mix all chocolate ingredients together until smooth.
- Roll cool tahini caramel into balls and dip in the chocolate.
- Sprinkle with bee pollen and freeze for 15 minutes until set. Enjoy!
Rice Malt Syrup can be subbed with raw honey (not vegan) / maple syrup / coconut nectar, as needed.
Bee pollen can be substituted with crushed nuts or chia seeds, if desired.
Baobab can be subbed with maca powder, lucuma, or mesquite.
Tahini can be subbed with nut butter of choice.
Check out Sally’s new book Love Move Eat for more healthy recipes!
The Fit Foodie (aka Sally O’Neil), is on a mission to prove that healthy and nutritious doesn’t have to be boring – and that even while staying in shape you can have your cake and eat it too. After losing 14kg after adopting a healthier lifestyle, Sally has now launched her own range of Protein Ball Mixes: Fit Mixes, so that you too can make healthy treats at home without the fuss. Visit Sally’s website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for delicious recipes, wellness tips and workouts.