Coconut oil is an absolute staple in the MNB kitchen. We love it just like a bee loves honey. For us, it’s a gift that just keeps on giving. There are so many uses for this fine oil from skin care to baking, to make up remover to baby care! It really is the all-rounder in the pantry; it even dictates the weather by its consistency. You know it’s getting cooler when you’re your coconut oil hardens.
In the last few years, coconut oil has been the target of a lot of hype. Not to be confused with coconut water which is a clear sweet liquid found inside young, green coconuts, coconut oil is from the white flesh of mature coconuts; full of around a massive 90% saturated fat.This saturated fat is completely nourishing, as it’s extremely resistant to heat, light and oxygen. This means that coconut oil will retain the high quality of its fats as they will not easily become rancid and form harmful free radicals. Saturated fats also allow more efficient use and storage of omega 3s in the body.
Coconut oil contains almost 50% lauric acid (it’s time to get acquainted), which has been found to have many health benefits, including reducing heart disease risk, weight loss, antiviral, antifungal and its even got antibacterial properties. The only other natural source of lauric acid in such high concentration is breast milk! Talk about liquid gold!
For cooking, we recommend using extra virgin, cold-pressed, which has been gently processed, but still retaining high quality fats.
Now that we’ve got the facts down pat – it’s time to let you know a few reasons why we have such a strong love for this mind-blowing liquid…
21 ways to use coconut oil
- Use it in your cooking for frying, baking and roasting! Its high smoke point makes it a suitable stable cooking oil.
- Use it as a moisturiser when you exit your morning shower – it’s profile of essential fatty acids will nourish you from the outside in.
- Use it as a hair mask: coat your hair from scalp to ends with a good dollop of oil and let set for a minimum 1 hour before washing. Guaranteed soft locks.
- Use it as a gentle make up remover, no need for harsh chemicals.
- Use it as a quick burst of energy. Eat one tablespoon when you’re feeling a slump.
- Use it as a natural nourishing massage oil. It smells great on the skin.
- Use it on mosquito bites to reduce itching, it will also soothe.
- Use it as a lip conditioner for chapped lips. Natural and yummy.
- With coconut oil in your diet, you are more likely to absorb fat soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, D, E & K.
- Use it as a hand moisturiser. You will have beautiful, soft hands.
- Use it in your smoothies for a nutrition kick! It will help keep you fuller for longer.
- Use it as a dairy free substitute to butter. It goes beautifully in any MNB recipe.
- Use it to prevent stretch marks. Use it everyday as a moisturiser.
- Use it to soothe eczema. Its antiviral and antibacterial properties will work wonders.
- Use it as a natural deodorant for a chemical free substitute.
- Use it to improve digestion, take a spoonful 15 minutes before a meal.
- Can be used to soothe baby rash.
- Use it with sugar for a soothing and exfoliating body scrub.
- Use it in your baking when making bars, brownies, muffins or raw cakes.
- Use it melted as a healthy ice magic substitute. Mix with raw cacao and when it hardens it’s just like ice magic!
- Use it when oil pulling for a pleasant taste and whiter teeth.