Who doesn’t love a big ol’ bowl of cereal from time to time? If not for the convenience, then definitely for the deliciousness… But what we don’t love is the abundance of sugar and other artificial additives that unfortunately comes packaged in the same box. And when it comes to cereal, what could be more iconic than coco pops? If your family was anything like mine, we were only allowed to have them on school holidays, something I condemned my mother for at the time, but something I well and truly thank her for now. But in good news, we’ve found a way you can enjoy a bowl of the chocolately, crunchy stuff every damn day, and it’s all thanks to our friends over at Detox Cleanse Nourish.
A few nourishing swaps and substitutions is all you need to turn this traditionally naughty food, nice. Exchange chocolate for cacao, sugar for rice malt syrup and white rice for brown rice puffs and voila! Just like a chocolate milkshake… only healthy!
- 4 cups brown rice puffs
- 80ml rice malt syrup (PureHarvest)
- 80ml organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- First make the chocolate coating – in a small saucepan, add the rice malt syrup and organic coconut oil and heat gently over a low heat until warmed. Remove from the heat and stir in the raw cacao powder, stirring well until smooth.
- Add the brown rice puffs and coconut flakes to a large bowl then drizzle the chocolate coating over top. Stir really well until the brown rice puffs are completely coated. It may seems like you don’t have enough chocolate coating, but keep stirring, it will cover it all!
- Soft’n’chewy – Spread the coco pop mixture into a baking paper line container and then straight in the fridge until it sets (about 20 minutes or so). Then break it up (it will crumble apart easily) and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Crispy-crunchy – Preheat the oven to about 160 degrees.
- Spread the coco pop mixture into a baking paper lined baking tray (you will need to do two batches).
- Bake for 4-8 minutes, stirring around once, until crispy. Watch them closely as burnt cacao is not so nice! Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container (not in the fridge).
For more information about Detox Cleanse Nourish or Zoe Tattersall, please visit the below links!