After a long day at work or a big day at home with the kids, the first thing we want to do is go home and relax, shower or sit on the lounge. Some of us want to escape with a sip of wine and some want to hide with our most desired treats.
However, if we really want to unwind successfully sitting on the lounge will not cut it for our mind or our body. Unwinding is actually about relaxing and finding an equilibrium or rebalance. Relaxation is different to being lazy, it is actually our body’s functioning response to revival.
We must seek to decompress the stresses of our daily lives by relaxing successfully. We have many stresses not only at work but our travel to work or home and our family lives with all its expectations associated.
Stress is best relieved though movement and breathing. Refreshing our body and mind through meditation, yoga, swimming or a peaceful act of switching our minds off the achievement list and living in the present. It is as simple as drawing on or seeking any mindful moment.
Stress is our biggest health concern it’s connected to high blood pressure, anxiety and seizures. It is often made mention with many cancer patients, stating that they believe that their cancer may be stress related.
Therefore stressing less, and especially at this time of year, is so very important.
How to de–stress more effectively;
- Create a peaceful space – try music and switch off technology.
- Leave work at the office – switch off your phone and try not to think about work when at home. If you do think of something important, write it down so that you can deal with it during work hours, rather than worrying that you might forget.
- Spend time in the quiet with your eyes closed peacefully finding your breath. This can be difficult for a Mum. We must state to the children that Mum needs a few moments. The more often we tell them this the easier it becomes and the time they leave you alone for increases (this teaches our kids resilience too).
- Spend time observing your surroundings – go for a walk in the evening, lightly taking each step stopping to look at the lights or view. Enjoy sitting under a tree listening to the leaves in the breeze, reading or just sitting watching, appreciating.
- Avoid the over zealous getting it all done immediately switch– this is particularly hard for many women to switch off. We seek to wash the kids uniforms or immediately start dinner or complete emails. These task will always be there. Tell yourself to take the time out with no guilt associated, it is only 30 minutes.
I personally choose to unwind with yoga, walking with the kids on the beach or even meditation by the pool.
In our house the TV is rarely on. We tend to sit outside, on our hanging chairs and discussing the day. I am truly blessed that my children are like this. They have grown up like this and see the huge benefits of living a peaceful life.
Not to say they don’t love their technology, but I have to sometimes switch off the WIFI to ensure we take the time.
It does start with a whine, moan and ‘Mum’ scream. But every time they are so thankful, they sleep soundly and have less anxious minds and bodies.
Try these next time you feel stressed or in need to unwind ,rather than the flop on the lounge option. See how this art of relaxation not only benefits you, but also the health and wellbeing of the whole family.
Health and Happiness always,
To learn more about Belinda Norton head to www.blivewear.com