Lorna’s fridge has become something of internet legend since the first time we were treated to a sneaky peak in 2015. It’s no wonder her ‘fridgie’ shots created the Instagram craze that sparked nourishing inspo (and just a little envy 😉) that had us all channeling our inner type ‘A’ and giving our own fridges a healthy makeover.
So, when we were recently in Byron with Lorna we couldn’t resist snapping a few pics and taking the opportunity to ask her all about her approach to food and of course, what nourishing essentials she always keeps stocked.
What is your Food Philosophy?
I eat predominantly WHOLE (AKA Real) unprocessed food. I skip the food that comes in pretty packaging and go for real foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Think fruit, vegetables, good quality meat and fish, wholegrains, nuts, legumes, eggs, healthy fats and plenty of spring water. All organic and farm friendly.
And, what’s always in your fridge?
- Plenty of in-season fruits and vegetables
- Natural yoghurt
- Nut butters
- Good quality protein
- Homemade Protein Balls (I freeze them, so I don’t eat them all at once!)
- Fresh berries and grapes
- Smoothies that I pre-make and freeze ahead of time so I can just add ice, coconut water and blend!
- Fresh fish (salmon is my fav)
Favourite vegetable and your fav way to eat it?
- Broccoli and asparagus (sorry, can’t choose between them!).
- I lightly steam them and then toss them in coconut oil with a little salt and pepper. YUM!!
What are some of your must-have pantry staples?
- So – many – herbs 🌿
- Almond Flour
- Coconut oil
- And every type of herbal tea you can imagine
What drinks do you always have in stock?
- Fresh coconut water
- Cold brew coffee
Favourite non-dairy milk?
- Hemp mylk
- Or a blend of coconut, cashew and almond mylk
Australian manuka honey and bee pollen.
For last minute entertaining?
A tapas board with a couple of flavours of hummus, vegetable crudités, seed crackers (homemade of course. I keep them in the freezer 😉) and olives.
Fav places to shop?
The Farmers Market in Byron. But my all-time favourite is Erewhon Natural Foods in LA 😋
Simple go-to recipe you’re loving right now?
My Choc Hazelnut Spread! It satisfies my sweet tooth and is super easy to make! (recipe below👇🏼)
Love this? Check out…
- Lorna’s Mini-Bar Fridge Makeover
- 5 Things You’ll Always Find in Lorna’s Fridge
- The OG Insider Look Into Lorna’s Fridge That Started It All!
Everything You Want To Ask Lorna About What She Eats (& Her Famous Fridge!)
Lorna’s Choc Hazelnut Spread
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tbs cacao
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180C (360F).
- Line a baking tray and roast hazelnuts for 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then wrap in a clean towel and rub on benchtop to remove skin.
- Place hazelnuts in food processor and blend for 3 minutes or until paste has formed.
- Add cacao, maple syrup and coconut oil, blend to combine then add water and salt and blend.
- Put into jar and refrigerate until required.
- Enjoy as a spread, topping or dip!