Going plastic free doesn’t have to be as scary as it sounds. It is all about taking small meaningful steps and making more thoughtful consumer decisions.
I love the idea of being a beginner in this eco warrior world, because it will teach you so many valuable lessons along the way about the environment, your health and your own sense of self.
My biggest advice is to take one step at a time. Once you master step one, only then can you move to step two and so on.
Plan ahead, create small achievable goals and tick them off one by one!
Not only will this instill better habits, it creates an addictive positive impact on the planet and your brain.
Every time you check something off your to do list, oxytocin is released, the addictive, happy hormone that gets us hooked! Along with serotonin this is the pathway to your success on this plastic free journey. Small, positive steps to going plastic free, start with training your brain.
I recommend starting with your re-usable cup or water bottle to reduce your plastic use and waste. These are the most accessible things in our day to day, and let’s be honest, everyone drinks coffee (or tea) and everyone drinks water. Find a brand that screams your name, and dive in!
My next step is hold yourself accountable, take this journey on with a friend or family member. Together make a rule – No cup, no coffee! No bottle, then find a drinking fountain! Ask your local cafe for a glass of water, or wait until you arrive at your destination. This is a BIG one. I think by now most of us have or understand that we should BYO cup, but how often do we forget it or just go with the easy choice and use a disposable cup? Accountability helps build the habit.
Small steps, huge impacts.
Here are some of my top tips of how not to forget your cup
- Set a reminder-notification on your phone to remember your cup before you leave home in the morning.
- Have a ‘Forgot my Cup’ jar at the office and pay a penalty every time you forget your cup.
- Put your cup in your bag or in front of the front-door before going to bed at night.
- Buy multiple cups and keep one at each of your bases: home, office, friends… Don’t worry, they’ll last for years!
- Get your Barista to deny you your coffee, unless you bring your cup #lessonlearnt #nocoffeeforyou
These are just some starting points to begin your plastic free journey!
There are so many incredible changes you can make, that essentially make no difference to your life, but directly impact our environment tremendously.
Here are some other simple ways to reduce plastic in your life:
- Swap that plastic bag for a re-usable tote. A fabric tote is easy to stash in your handbag so you always have one on hand.
- Start using glass re-usable containers instead of plastic.
- Say ‘no’ to single use plastics. BYO or go without wherever you can.
- Make small conscious consumer decisions. Invest in quality items that will last you longer.
- Consume less, waste less.
We only have 1 planet! Let’s keep it safe and beautiful together.
Rebecca Veksler is the Founder of SoL Cups. With a background in the Health & Fitness industry, Business and a huge love for Psychology Rebecca took her passion for inspiring and empowering people, and her love for business to create a product that she truly believed in. Sol Cups was born out of a mission to share her family’s knowledge and passion of health with as many people as possible.
SoL Cups are 100% Plastic free, for optimistic drinkers and half full thinkers.
Making both the environment and people happy. We are for embracing taste and ending waste. Happy, healthy, sustainable and beautiful.