Like all girls, I LOVE beauty products. But, before we start to talk about beauty and my go-to essentials, I just wanted to remind you (and myself) that the products we use to enhance our appearance on the outside are just a small part of what makes us beautiful.
We need to remind ourselves that our internal beauty is so much more important than what people see on the outside. And, that we shine from the inside, so we need to prioritize how we feel about ourselves first.
We need to make sure that we love and believe in ourselves, that we’re kind to ourselves, that we’re confident with who we are and that we are genuinely happy with our lives and the people that we share it with.
We also have to take care of ourselves (from the inside) by; drinking plenty of water EVERY DAY, eating a well-balanced and healthy diet and making sure that we get enough sleep. Yes, that means 7-9 hours, 6 out of 7 nights every single week.
We need to do the really important stuff first because, it’s only when we’re feeling confident, happy, healthy and hydrated that we can start to talk about taking care of ourselves on the outside.
So now that we’ve got that sorted, let’s talk about beauty products and some of my absolute favourites right now.
I’ve always thought of myself as pretty low maintenance when it comes to beauty. But when I started to travel on a regular basis and saw all of the things I ‘couldn’t live without’ that I was trying to pack into my suitcase, I decided that even ‘I’ had more than a few things that I had come to depend on to look and feel myself day to day.
So, here it goes, my beauty essentials:
Face Cleanser and Moisturiser
Of course it all starts with a good cleanser, moisturiser and eye cream. At the moment I’m loving Dermalogica’s skin resurfacing cleanser and an amazing (and completely natural) moisturiser and eye-cream from The Body Deli that I discovered just over a year ago at a local spa in LA.
The moisturiser is the Nourish Night Cream (but I use it during the day) and the eye-cream is their Firming Flax Eye Cream. Which I use morning and night.
If I’m not wearing make-up (which is most of the time) I put a tinted moisturiser over the top of my regular moisturiser to give myself a healthy glow and even out my skin tone. I love Ultraceuticals Sheer Tint Daily Moisturiser because it’s the perfect colour for my skin (and for all of my friends who have tried it over time) and has the added benefit of 30+ sunscreen.
Rosehip Oil is an old favourite and I’ve been using it on my face and neck every night for about 5 years now. I absolutely love how it instantly re-hydrates my skin – I find that it tends to look a little oily when I first put it on but after just 10-15 minutes it absorbs into my skin and leaves it feeling silky smooth and soft!
I know that exfoliating is essential for younger looking skin and I do it twice a week. I use asap Daily Exfoliating Facial Scrub on my face, neck and décolletage and Frank Body everywhere else. Sure, it makes a mess of the shower but the silky smooth skin that you have afterwards makes it so worth it! Frank has so many new flavours but I still find myself going back to the original Coffee -with the Coconut Coffee being a close second.
To moisturize my body (which I do morning and night) I just use a good organic cold pressed coconut oil when I’m at home but find it a little messy when it comes to travel. So I use Pure Moisture Coconut Body Crème – it smells absolutely delicious and leaves my skin feeling super hydrated.
My husband Bill uses it from head to toe which means that we can quite often smell the same – which can be a little odd don’t you think!
Rosewater is an absolute face- saver on long-haul flights or just when I find myself in air-conditioning for extend periods of time. I always have some on hand to refresh and hydrate the skin on my face, neck and hands.
I also carry a natural sunscreen with me where ever I go. Wotnot 30SPF Natural Sunscreen is my favourite because it’s gentle enough to use on my face and my body and is free from any chemical UV absorbers – YAY!
When I’m traveling I also like to make where ever I’m staying a little more like home.
So here are a few more things that I somehow manage to squeeze into my suitcase (or Bill’s when he’s not looking!!) to pamper myself and make my hotel room a little more zen:
- Lavender Oil … to put on my temples and pillow at night for relaxation and to combat jet lag
- A candle … usually something for relaxation or just one that reminds me of home. I like to burn it when I’m doing yoga or relaxing and reading a book.
- Collagen Powder … one of my must-have supplements to keep my skin looking young and vibrant. I buy it in sachets and simply add it to my morning smoothie or drink in water before I go to bed (Pro-plenish have a delicious lemon flavour one that is great as a refreshing drink when just mixed with water)
- Vitamins … Nothing too over the top, just an immune defence, a couple of magnesium (more if I can’t sleep or my muscles are aching) and a fish oil once a day.
- Foot Cream … this is something I like to take on holiday with me because I tend to have a little more pampering time when my schedule is a little less hectic. I love the Burt’s Bee’s Coconut Foot Crème (with Vitamin E). It smells delicious and you simply massage it onto your feet before you go to bed, put on a pair of socks and wake up with super soft tootsies! Bill and I do this together and then all we can talk about the next day is how amazing our feet feel!
- Hand Cream … I always have one in my bag. Right now I’m using Aesop’s Rejuvenate Intensive Body Balm which I rub into my arms and legs when I’m feeling a little dry as well
- Lip scrub and treatment … I love the Sarah Happ lip scrub and then I use Kosmea’s Skin Clinic Rescue Balm as a lip balm afterwards.
Well there you have it – my Summer 2017 Beauty Low-Down.
Tell me, what are your go-to Beauty must-haves this summer?
Share them with me as I’m always looking for something new to try and love!
Love, Lorna xx
Please know that I have not been paid to recommend any of these products. I simply love them and think that you might love them too.