A few years ago, I halved the contents of my bathroom cabinet. I ditched the fragrance-laden creams and went back to basics. Red, irritated skin was calmed with chamomile, pimples kept at bay with green tea, and rosemary and coconut oil came together to keep hair thick and shiny. Anything that could be made from organic ingredients, I was doing it.
One of my favourites is my secret (up until now) under-eye gel that only has three ingredients, but boasts the power to decrease puffiness, hydrate tired skin, and moisturise all at once.
DIY Aloe Vera Eye Gel
What you’ll need
- Aloe vera gel (from one large leaf)
- ½ cucumber
- Witch hazel extract (from pharmacy)
- Slice the aloe vera leaf lengthways and scoop out the gel (careful to not get any green plant fibres, just the clear gel!). Place in a bowl to the side.
- Chop the cucumber roughly and place in a food processor or blender, then strain through cheesecloth. Discard the pulp and keep the juice.
- Add one teaspoon each of the witch hazel and the cucumber juice and mix through the gel. Continue to add one teaspoon of each and mix through until you’ve got the desired consistency.
- And you’re done! Store it in the fridge and apply those mornings you need a little lift.
Gym junkie, clean-eating cook, gardener, and massive herb-nerd, Reece Carter, had been interested in natural health for several years when it dawned on him “hey, I could actually make this a career!”. Now, with a Bachelor of Health Science under his belt and two years of clinical practice, Reece sees clients from his office at the Naturopathic Collective Australia in Prahran, Victoria. He practices under traditional naturopathic principles but utilises modern scientific evidence to develop individualised treatments for his clients.
Want to know more about Reece? Visit his website, twitter or Instagram for more updates! You can also find plenty of Reece’s other #herbnerd recipes over at his YouTube channel – www.youtube.com/c/reececarterchannel/ – to keep yourself healthy, naturally!