Garlicky Charred Zucchini, Hemp & Herb Yoghurt Dip … w/ Not Quite Pickled Cucumbers
Dips are a great way to pack flavour, texture and nutrition, into a dish. They’re also super versatile as you can use them as a sauce, base or to add a punch of flavour to a main dish.
Serve as a dip with your fave raw veggies or crackers or as as base of a larger dish, with a piece of fish or even some roast veggies.
Perfect to make ahead and easily adapted by increasing quantities for larger gatherings!
serves 4 as a starter or snack
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 sprigs mint, leaves picked, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs dill, leaves picked, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs coriander, picked, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely crushed
- 1 lemon
- pinch chili powder
- hemp oil to drizzle
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds to serve (optional)
Not Quite Pickled Cucumbers
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 sprig dill, picked, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Slice the zucchini lengthways into thick strips.
- Brush with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill pan or BBQ and char grill the zucchini slices for about 2 minutes each side until softening and caramelised.
- Allow the zucchini to cool slightly before finely chopping and place in a bowl to cool completely.
- Add the yoghurt, 3 tbsp of the hemp seeds, garlic, chopped herbs and the zest and half the juice of the lemon to the zucchini.
- Add a little chili powder, mix well and season to taste.
- Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- For the cucumbers, cut each cucumber lengthways into 6 pieces.
- Place in a shallow bowl and toss with the salt, honey and vinegar.
- Allow the cucumber to sit for 5 to 10 minutes then toss with the herbs and hemp seeds.
- Spoon the yoghurt dip onto a serving plate, top with remaining hemp seeds and pomegranate seeds if using. Serve the cucumber spears along side the dip and drizzle with hemp oil.
ABOUT TOM WALTON
Tom Walton is a young Bondi chef, restaurant owner and father who’s passion for food extends into health and nutrition. Tom’s passion is to share his love for good well-sourced food, health and a balanced lifestyle with curated recipes that are not over complicated and focus on seasonal, healthy conscious cooking, eating and living that the whole family can enjoy.
Tom began his Career at the age of 17. By 21, he was training to represent Australia in an international cookery competition in Helsinki, where he placed 3rd in the world. Tom went on to join the then 2 hatted, Bistro Moncur working his way up to head chef in his 6-year stint there.
Today he is the co-owner of The Bucketlist Bondi, Palm Beach, director of Dux Nutts Muesli and has recently launched Nudefish Poké.