As the temperature starts to drop slightly during autumn many of us start to crave more warming and comforting foods.
To help you maintain your health and fitness goals during this seasonal change, here I share some of my favourite healthy autumn recipes, which the whole family will enjoy!
Chicken and Vegetable Risotto
Tip: replace chicken with feta cheese for a vegetarian version.
Pre: 5 minutes
Cooking: 20-30 minutes
Gluten Free – Dairy Free
- 500g chicken breast
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 2 cups mushrooms, flat, button and/or brown
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, skin removed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock salt reduced
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. EV olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees, toss chicken breast with olive oil and bake on a lined baking tray for 15-20 minutes until cooked, shred with a fork.
- Rice: in a food processor add the mushrooms, carrot, zucchini, celery, garlic, onion and olive oil and blend until coarsely chopped.
- In a saucepan, sauté the mixture until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and 1 ladle of hot stock and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Keep slowly adding all of the stock until desired consistency is reached.
- Once cooked add parsley and season to taste.
- Spoon rice into serving bowls and top with shredded chicken
Healthy Chicken and Tofu Laksa
This laksa is a great week night dinner for the whole family. The homemade curry paste contains no added nasties and can be kept for a few days in the fridge and used as a marinate to create further meals.
Prep: 15-20 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
- 400g chicken breast
- 2 tbsp. organic virgin coconut oil
- 250g rice vermicelli noodles
- 180g hard tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
- 500ml chicken stock
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 250g bean shoots
- 1 tbsp. fresh chilli
- 4 green shallots, sliced, to garnish
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Curry paste ingredients:
- 1 brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 lemon grass stalks, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6-8 macadamia nuts
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce, or to taste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- To make the curry paste, place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and process until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- Cook rice vermicelli noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook tofu, stirring, until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Add chicken and stock, and curry paste to the saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce heat to low. Stir in coconut milk, oil, chicken and tofu.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked. It is important you simmer the soup gently at this point as the coconut milk will separate if boiled.
- Drain and divide among 4 deep soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles and top with bean shoots.
- Garnish with green shallots and coriander leaves.
Yuuuummmm. So cosy, so warm, so cuddly.
Zoe Bingley- Pullin is a celebrity chef and nutritionist who is also one of the experts on Channel 7’s House of Wellness. She is also the author of several successful cookbooks.