If you’re Australian, it probably goes without saying that Vegemite was a huge part of your upbringing (and let’s be honest, is probably still a huge part of your life) and is solid staple on your weekly grocery list. It’s salty, satisfying and full of b-vitamins… the strangest condiment in theory, yet one of the most delicious to spread on your morning sourdough – amirite? We bet you even remember this…
So if you’re going true blue on Tuesday and celebrating with a Backyard BBQ, why not turn everyone into happy little Vegemite’s by including one of our most famous delicacies on the menu? That’s right, we got a little creative in the MNB kitchen and concocted the PERFECT (not to mention the most patriotic) recipe to throw on the barbie… say hello to our MNB approved Vegemite chicken skewers!
Lemon & Thyme Vegemite Chicken skewers
- 1 chicken breast, diced 2cm square
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Himalayan Salt and black pepper
- 4 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Thread chicken onto skewers and coat on remaining ingredients.
- Heat non stick pan over medium heat and sear chicken 2 minutes each side.
- Place skewers in lined tray and bake for 5 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon Vegemite
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon macadamia oil
- 1 tablespoon water
Add a Walnut, green pea, mint and avocado salad
You will need:
- 2 handfuls mixed lettuce
- 1/3 cup peas, fresh or frozen blanched
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of a lemon