How many times have you gotten home after a long day at work/school/the gym/shopping (we don’t judge… schlepping those heavy bags around all day really takes it out of you) feeling drained and exhausted but so damn hungry? We’ve ALL been there… and as tempting as it can be to settle for something simple like avo on toast, sometimes it just doesn’t cut the mustard. But our good friend The Fit Foodie changed the game completely when she introduced us to her 10-minute nourishing dinner bowl… It looks (and tastes for that matter) like a creamy risotto, but has no where near the effort factor (score). The perfect balance of protein, good fats and complex carbs, this 10-minute meal ticks all the nutritional boxes, whilst also scoring high on the taste factor.
10-Minute Nourishing Dinner Bowl
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (microwave packet if necessary)
- 3 blocks of frozen spinach
- 1 bunch brocollini
- 2 soft-boiled eggs
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- coconut or olive oil spray
- 2 tsp poppy or chia seeds (optional)
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 2 tsp natural hummus
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt
- Lightly spray a small frying pan with coconut or olive oil and turn on the heat.
- Add the mushrooms and begin to saute, stirring for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the brocollini and frozen spinach cubes for the same amount of time.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients until well combined in a small ramekin or bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cooked mushrooms, spinach, and rice together.
- Spoon the rice mix into two bowls or plates and top with brocollini, egg and seeds.
- Serve dressing at the table with the bowls and enjoy!
What’s your go-to quick and healthy meal? Let us know in the comments below.
The Fit Foodie (aka Sally O’Neil), is on a mission to prove that healthy and nutritious doesn’t have to be boring – and that even while staying in shape you can have your cake and eat it too. After losing 14kg after adopting a healthier lifestyle, Sally has now launched her own range of Protein Ball Mixes: Fit Mixes, so that you too can make healthy treats at home without the fuss. Visit Sally’s website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for delicious recipes, wellness tips and workouts.