Twice Baked Pumpkin with Lentils and Ancient Grains
Our twice baked pumpkin is a deliciously flavoursome dish that works well as a main or side. it’s melt in your mouth delicious and easily adapted to be vegan friendly.
Prep Time15 minutes
- ½ Pumpkin or Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan (or vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or non dairy spread)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup mixed grains such as wholegrain rice, quinoa or farro cooked to packet directions
- ½ cup green or puy lentils, cooked to packet directions
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon pepitas, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan flakes (or vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast)
- 1 punnet heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (dressing)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil (dressing)
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice (dressing)
- 1 teaspoon honey or rice syrup (dressing)
- 2 spring onions, sliced (dressing)
- Salt and pepper (dressing)
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a baking tray.
- Place ½ pumpkin and drizzle in olive oil. Roast for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Scoop out pumpkin and keep skin aside. Mash in a bowl with parmesan, butter and seasoning.
- Put mash back into pumpkin. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Place grains, lentils, nuts, herbs, parmesan and cherry tomatoes in a bowl and coat in dressing.
- Scoop onto twice baked pumpkin. Garnish with parmesan flakes.
*Vegan option: swap parmesan for extra pine nuts and butter for olive oil