Tempeh – tofu’s firmer, fermented, slightly lesser known cousin features in this tasty Tandoori Tempeh Wrap recipe.
Packed with protein and fibre, tempeh is less processed than tofu (as it’s made from whole soy beans), so is a great choice if you’re reducing meat and/or processed foods.
Tandoori Tempeh Wraps
Want to try tempeh but not sure what to do with it? This delicious Tandoori Tempeh Wrap is a flavoursome way to add tempeh to your diet. Popping with taste, packed with protein and super simple to make, these wraps are a great mix of hot and cool flavours with a fresh mint edge.
Simon Hill is the Founder of Plant Proof, a resource for a strong, lean and conscious plant based and vegan lifestyle, including the Plant Proof Podcast. This podcast has inspired, impacted and reached millions of people. During this series he speaks to like-minded people about common fears among men and women transitioning from animal foods.
Simon shares his personal experience with living plant-based and his wealth of knowledge on staying healthy as well as delicious recipes!
- 300 g (1 block) chickpea and linseed tempeh (Tandoori Tempeh)
- 3 tbsp tandoori paste (Tandoori Tempeh)
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt (Tandoori Tempeh)
- 1 cup fresh mint (Coconut & Mint Raita)
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt (Coconut & Mint Raita)
- Zest of 1 lime (Coconut & Mint Raita)
- Pinch ground cumin (Coconut & Mint Raita)
- Salt and pepper to taste (Coconut & Mint Raita)
- 1 carrot grated (Carrot Salad)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (Carrot Salad)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (Carrot Salad)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (Carrot Salad)
- 1/2 lemon juice (Carrot Salad)
- Small handful of sultanas (Carrot Salad)
- Mix together tandoori paste and yoghurt into a bowl.
- Place a whole block of tempeh into the marinade and coat evenly. Marinade for 1⁄2 hour.
- Heat oven to a moderate temperature and line with baking paper.
- Place tempeh in a baking dish and drizzle with a tad of olive oil.
- Bake for roughly 1⁄2 hour or until it forms a golden crust.
- Slice tempeh lengthways.
- Finely chop mint then mix all coconut & mint raita ingredients into a bowl until combined.
- In a bowl mix together carrot and sultanas.
- Heat a heavy based frypan toast mustard seeds until they pop. Remove from the heat and add oil and turmeric.
- Pour hot spice mix over the carrot then squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the top. Add a pinch of salt. Mix all salad ingredients together.
- Serve with; Chutney and pickle of choice, sliced fresh chilli fresh mint leaves.
- Layer chapatis or flatbreads of your choice with carrot salad, tempeh, raita and chutney then top with fresh mint and sliced chilli.