Ohhh yep we went there. We have been waiting for this moment for a loooong time. When we were planning out our July winter recipes, a humble apple crumble shot straight to #1 on our to-create list. There is nothing that screams winter comfort more than a nourishing apple crumble. I mean seriously, curling up on the couch, flicking through your favourite book, with a hot cup of tea in hand. Does it really get any better than that?
There are a bunch of apple crumble recipes on the market, so we wanted to present you with something a little bit different. This Apple Strawberry Macadamia Crumble (yes it’s a mouthful…literally) really put’s a fresh spin on the traditional apple crumble variety. It’s healthy, super sweet with the perfect amount of munch and crunch. Trust us when we say, this is a crumble that could rival grandma’s.
Super Fast Apple Crumble
Strawberry and Apple Crumble (Super Fast & Vegan Friendly!)
- 3 apples (any variety)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 250g strawberries
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup macadamias
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or organic butter
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- To make the crumble, preheat the oven to 160C.
- In a bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter and pour over the dry ingredients. Before mixing it in, add in the liquid sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Stir well. The crumble mix should form a ball when squeezed in your hand. If it doesn’t, add some more coconut oil or butter.
- Cut the apples into thin wedges, keeping the skin on.
- Place into a steamer basket over a pot of simmering water, sprinkle the cinnamon over the top and place the lid on.
- Simmer for approximately 5mins or until the apples are tender.
- Slice the strawberries into quarters.
- Place the steamed apple and strawberries into a baking dish, spreading the fruit to cover the entire bottom surface.
- Spread the crumble over the top of the fruit in the baking dish, covering it completely.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15mins, or until the crumble is golden.
- Serve with homemade custard or vanilla labne.