Butternut Mac & Cheese
Before we start, I’ve got to warn you. This recipe comes with a bonus food baby. Every time.
It’s the kind of meal you tell yourself you’ll never eat that much in one sitting again, but you definitely will – because it’s just WAY.TOO.GOOD. Seriously! We couldn’t keep this recipe to ourselves even if we wanted to…
MAGIC Mac and Cheese
- 1 large butternut pumpkin
- 1 large carrot
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 100g cashew cheese
- 50g goats cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup water
- 100g speck or smoked bacon
- 200g wild mushrooms
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 700g spelt pasta
- To start, preheat the oven to 180c and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the pumpkin and carrot into 2×2 cm pieces, and the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Place the pumpkin, carrot, cherry tomatoes and garlic onto the baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the carrot and pumpkin are soft.
- While you’re waiting on the veggies, pop the spelt pasta into a pot of boiling water and cook until soft.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- Next thinly slice the onion and speck and add the speck to a cold pan on a low heat.
- Once the spec begins to get crispy and has released some fat, add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Place the pan on a high heat, and add the olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for another couple of minutes until well combined.
- To make the sauce, place the roasted ingredients into a blender or food processor with cashew cheese, goats cheese, nutritional yeast, water, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
- In a large pot, combine your pasta, sauce and the speck, onion and mushroom mix.
- TA-DA! Assume food coma.
What’s your favourite comfort meal?