Winter is well and truly on its way! It’s my favourite season because I love to keep active in winter by snow skiing! Whether it is cross-country or downhill skiing, nothing compares to spending time in the snowy mountains skiing my favourite runs…. and the end of the day, snuggling by the fire with a hot chocolate!
Loving my winter skin however, is another matter! Did you know extreme cold and wind can cause changes to your skin, particularly the protective outer layer? Consider all the variances in winter weather, from temperatures having lower humidity levels to our indoor environment where heaters and fires keep us warm. Soon we are left with a skin that not only looks dull and flaky and sometimes pink but a skin that can feel dry, dehydrated and tight.
Now is the time to step up your winter skin care routine and time to get nourishing, skin care style! Here are my 10 ways to nourish your winter skin…
Here are my top ten tips for a healthy skin this winter:
- If your skin feels tight or taut after cleansing and you use a foamy cleanser, its time to switch for a more balancing cleanser that will soothe and replenish you skin. Try products with calming botanicals like lavender, chamomile, aloe and raspberry extract.
- Use a hydrating spray or spritz after cleansing and throughout the day to rehydrate and reduce any tightness, particularly if you work in a heated environment.
- Nourish by using a non-drying creamy mask that is rich in vital oils like Evening Primrose Oil and Vitamins A, E and C, and Oats to sooth and repair. I recommend twice a week if you are feeling super dry.
- Use a serum or booster. These specialised products contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid which is like giving your skin a big glass of water, perfect for a skin that looks taut and feels tight.
- Amp up your moisturising. If your skin is lacking oil and feeling dry you need more surface protection and nourishment. Ingredients like Shea butter, Evening Primrose Oil and Jojoba Seed Oil helps to keep the skin layers in tact and nourish with vital fatty acids.
- Don’t forget your lips, nose and cheeks; these are the most exposed areas, particularly when you are active outdoors during winter. Apply a healing balm to soothe and shield.
- Beware winter sun! Always protect with a high level SPF. Many foundations are multi taskers, meaning they have inbuilt SPF ingredients, great for sporty sisters who are always on the move.
- Dry body skin? Exfoliate regularly and apply your body moisturiser twice daily when your skin is still damp to lock in the moisture.
- Always nourish your hands by using a protective hand cream and massage oil into your cuticles to prevent them from cracking. Try wearing lightweight run gloves when you are active outdoors.
- Lastly, find an experienced and professional skin care therapist – one who will find out your individual skin care needs and who will thoroughly analyse your skin to customise a specific skin care routine just for you.
Try these ultra nourishing diy recipes:
Do you have a skin care question? If so, comment below!
In the meantime… see you on the slopes!
Allison is a skin care specialist and training professional and a true ‘skinaholic’. On a 9-to-5 day, she forms part of the Lorna Jane training team; coaching, mentoring and inspiring our LJ team members.
In her spare time you can find her embracing the Move Nourish Believe philosophy by: moving in the great outdoors, skiing, cycling or simply walking her mini schnauzer; nourishing by masking her skin (her twice a week must have); and believing that anything is indeed possible (I will live in France!)