For some reason, broccoli cops a bad rap… but why? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back bae – and if you want to stop loathing it and start loving it, we’ve got the secret… and it all comes down to the way in which you cook it! Step away from the steamer, which leaves it as bland as sand and do what Jessica Sepel of JS Health does… When life gives you broccoli, mix it with Parmesan and turn it into a fritter.
Broccoli and Parmesan Fritters
Makes: 8 fritters
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- 1/3 cup parmesan, shaved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Greek yoghurt and lemon, to serve
- Cut broccoli into florets and steam/boil until tender, but not mushy. Drain the broccoli and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the cooked broccoli, eggs, almond meal, lemon rind, parmesan, garlic clove and salt to a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together. Add a little more almond meal if it seems too wet.
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-heat.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of the mixture to the pan and shape into a fritter. Repeat until you have 4 fritters cooking at once.
- Turn down the heat – remember, low and slow! Cook the fritters on one side until golden (7-10 mins) then flip carefully and fry for a further 5 mins until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining fritters.
- Serve with greek yoghurt and fresh lemon.
Jess Sepel has just released The JSHealth Program an 8-week plan to quit diets forever, reach your balanced weight and live the healthy life. It’s full of amazing recipes, cooking demos, meal plans and tips to increase energy levels, manage stress and heal a complex relationship with food. Living the Healthy Life (with over 160 AMAZING delicious recipes), goes hand in hand with the Program and can be found in all good bookstores and online from her website: http://www.jessicasepel.com.