Without a doubt the number one tip all health experts agree on is – to be organised. It’s a biggie! Being organised with your food means you’re less likely to make hangry food choices. Ain’t no body got time for that.
Meal prep can look so different depending on the person. That’s the beauty of it; you can tweak it to work for you and your lifestyle.
Cook all your food and portion it out on a Sunday? You go girl.
Buy the ingredients for each meal in one bulk shop, so they’re home ready to prepare each day? Nailing it.
Buy the ingredients in bulk, chop it all up and store ready for cooking each day/night? Look at you go.
The thing with meal prep is; it needs to work – FOR YOU! We’ve all got way too much on plates to add in more hassle and complications.
Ignore what Susan at the gym does, especially if you find it all way to hard and it just doesn’t work for you.
Here are 5 simple tips to get the most out of your meal prep… and 1 bonus one:
- Write down what you want to eat for the week. Very important. The first step to being organised for the week and knowing what you’re actually going to eat.
- Buy the ingredients in one shop. Pick a day that works for you, make that your food shop day. Write your shopping list, buy it all.
- Store your food appropriately. Nobody wants to buy coriander on Sunday, for it to be wilted, limp and lifeless by Tuesday. If you’re unsure of the best way to store a particular ingredient, such as coriander, Google “how to store <insert your ingredient>”. Or check out these handy tips.
- Decide whether you need to be the person that cooks and portions in bulk, or whether you cook daily.
- Depending on how you proceeded in point 4, you may need to date and freeze your food. Again very important, no body wants to get sick from 3-week old freezer food.
Another simple tip, (which I couldn’t include above because that would be six points and not sound as catchy), if you’re just starting out with cooking, invest in a great cook book. Pick the meals you want to eat that week from the one book. You’ll become familiar with recipes, ingredients and your preferred taste!
What’s your top tip for epic meal prepping?
Looking for recipe inspo?
Jessica Worth is a registered nutritionist who is passionate about helping women achieve their health goals. Determined to break down the basics of nutrition and make food fun again.