It’s breakfast time and you jump out of bed with a spring in your step, ready to take on the active day ahead. Now, all you need is a delightful breakfast recipe to match your bright mood (and wow your friends). Say so long to your standard bowl of cereal and blend up our fun and quirky rainbow smoothie!
This frosty recipe takes us back to the brain-freezing slurpees of our childhood – the technicolour swirls of sugary ice that seemed to swallow our pocket money every weekend. But those were the old days, and ever since we bid farewell to processed sugar, we’ve been dreaming up our own healthy version.
Blend our versatile smoothie for a weekday breakfast or serve it as the perfect rainbow mocktail recipe to treat your dinner party guests. You’ll feel totally carefree as you sip the entire rainbow, not to mention the nutritional benefits your body will receive from the fruity layers.
Layered Rainbow Smoothie Recipe
Makes 2-3 serves, prep time 2 hours
What You’ll Need:
Colour Me Happy: Rainbow Smoothie Recipe
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Servings: Serves 2-3
- Coconut (white) Layer: 2 cups coconut cream, 2 tbsp. honey or maple syrup, ½ cup ice cubes
- Strawberry (red) Layer: 1 cup strawberries, stems removed or 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries, 1/3 cup ice cubes
- Orange (yellow) Layer: 2 large oranges, peeled, ½ banana, 1/3 cup ice cubes
- Kiwi (green) Layer: ½ cup spinach, 3 kiwi fruit, peeled, Juice from ½ lemon, 1/3 cup ice cubes
- Blend together the ingredients for the coconut layer and divide into 2 or 3 glasses (so that they are around ¼ full).
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Repeat for each layer, freezing for at least 10 minutes in between layers to prevent mixing.
- Allow the rainbow smoothies to thaw for approx. 10 minutes before serving.