When we think of pancakes… We think of our mothers, our grandmothers, family gatherings and childhood memories filled with lazy mornings in our polka dot pyjamas. There’s nothing better than the sweet aroma of heated coconut oil, warm pancake batter and drizzled maple syrup to make your mind melt into a fluffy pancake heaven.
In light of Mother’s Day fast approaching (or any day you feel like spoiling mum for that matter) we have trialled, tested and whisked together the perfect pancake recipe, and we invite you to try them at home too.
Whether it’s an indulgent choc chia or fresh citrus style – we have both sides of the pancake spectrum covered.
The Perfect Pancake Recipe…With A Difference!
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: Serves 4
- BASIC RECIPE:
- 1.5 cups almond meal (you can use leftover meal from making almond milk)
- 1/2 cup natural protein powder
- 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- FOR CHOC CHIA PANCAKES ADD:
- 3 tbsp. cacao powder
- 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds
- FOR ORANGE MAPLE PANCAKE:
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- zest of 1 large orange
- (reduce the milk from the basic recipe to 2 tbsp.)
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend for at least 1 minute. Alternatively mix all the ingredients in a bowl using a whisk until combined and frothy. If you want the pancake mixture to be runnier, add an extra tbsp. or two of milk.
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat with 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil. Place large spoonfuls of pancake mix onto the saucepan leaving enough room to flip between each one.
- When the mixture starts to bubble on top, flip and cook the other side for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve with natural greek or coconut yoghurt.