“Clean Eating” is the word on every fit woman’s lips at the moment, and with good reason! Clean eating stems from the idea of eliminating or reducing all chemicals from the body. This means little to no processed/packaged foods and getting back-to-basics in our approach. It’s all about nourishing that beautiful body of yours, and fuelling it with nutritious, wholesome foods. That is what clean eating is all about. For those Sporty Sisters looking to eat a little cleaner, we have included some tip top tips to help you on your journey and discover the Clean Eating 101 & Why Clean Eating is good for you…
EAT FOOD FOR FUEL:
- FRUIT & VEGETABLES: If it falls from a tree, then it’s safe to say it’s a good option. The idea is to try and eat foods that have not been altered by humans in any way. Try and buy local from the nearest farmer’s market, this way you are guaranteed quality produce, along with supporting your local farmers! LEAN MEATS – Meat is not our enemy. Lean meats are a fantastic source of protein, which creates lean muscle and keeps you feeling fuller for longer – BONUS! When buying meat, stick to lean, quality meats from your local butcher.
- GRAINS: Think ‘whole’ grains. Things like brown rice, quinoa, rye breads and oats are all good options. Steer clear of ‘white’ breads, pasta and rice – brown is best!
- FEWER PACKAGED FOODS: Just because it claims to be healthy, doesn’t mean it’s a good choice. Many packaged foods are a clever marketing ploy, attempting to lure shoppers into buying their product. You will find that there are many hidden nasties in foods found in the supermarket that can negatively impact your health.
- H20 IS THE WAY TO GO: Keep yourself hydrated all day long, and the best way to do that is good old fashioned water! Most drinks found in the supermarket are full of sugar, even some orange juice! The best option is to juice your own at home, so much better for you!
HELPFUL TIPS TO GET YOU STARTED:
- CLEAR THE KITCHEN: Ok, it’s time to go through your pantry and fridge and cull all the bad stuff. Keep a pile to donate and another pile to toss. When you rid your home of unhealthy foods, it will make this journey all the more easier. Always ensure you read up on the labels too. Any ingredients listed that you can’t pronounce, bin it!
- STOCK UP ON PRODUCE: Replace all the unhealthy items you tossed for nourishing & super clean foods. Remember to stock up on a ton of fresh fruit & vegetables, whole grains and lean cuts of chicken breast or fish for your fridge. Buy up some healthy snacks to munch on throughout the day too. Raw nuts are a great option to keep stocked in your pantry or in your handbag.
- PLAN, PLAN, PLAN: Eating clean is much easier when you are prepared. Consider pre-planning your meals for the week. We like to do this on a Sunday to be extra organised, and it makes life so much easier to limit your cooking time during the week. Get some cooking inspiration here.
- MAKE A LIST: When heading out to do your shopping, be prepared & write up a big list. This will include all your clean eating foods, and your pre-planned meal ingredients. Also, don’t disregard frozen vegies or fruit. They are a great money saver and the frozen fruit are ideal for making smoothies! By sticking to your list, it will help keep you focused and less likely to stock your trolley with unnecessary packets of chips and sweets.
- BABY STEPS: Clean eating for some may be a slight tweak in their everyday eating routine, or for other’s a total lifestyle overhaul. Whatever category you fall under, just remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Changing habits is hard to break. Make tweaks here and there, and if you slip up – don’t worry. Just make your next meal is super clean!
- TREAT YOURSELF Eating clean doesn’t mean you have to rid yourself of all guilty pleasures. Far from it, because some clean treats are just as good (if not better) than your regular sugar laden double choc fudge brownie. Speaking of chocolate, try our dark chocolate bark recipe to satisfy your cravings.