HOW TO FIND BALANCE IN LIFE: WORK VS. WORKING OUT

Home » Forums » MNB CONTRIBUTORS » HOW TO FIND BALANCE IN LIFE: WORK VS. WORKING OUT

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jenna McManus
    Keymaster

If finding balance in life was easy, we would all have mastered the art by now. But that’s just not reality. No matter what stage you are in your life – whether you’re single and struggling to pay rent or a working mother of three – life gets busy and certain obligations, such as work and family, can take hierarchy over other necessities such as living active.

And although it is common knowledge that exercise is important for cardiovascular health, stress reduction, injury prevention and of course, that much desired weight maintenance – it still can be trumped by all the other checks on the seemingly never-ending checklist. 

But this might never be the case if it was understood that exercise is a means to finding balance. Moving our bodies inspires us to do things in our lives that benefit us and those around us. By giving yourself the time for you, you then feel better about dividing up your time for other obligations. It also calms your mind and gives you a greater perspective on what you can and should accomplish.

It is important to see achieving balance as something very fluid, malleable and ever changing. Because as life changes, how we achieve balance will shift and mold to our current situations. But as long as you maintain the stand that exercise is always part of your life, balance will always be that much easier to maintain.

Below I share my top tips to tacking that so badly needed balance in our every day lives. Give them a go and see if you feel more centered, at one and on track.

1. DON’T JUDGE YOURSELF
      I don’t know one person that doesn’t feel that at one point they were out of balance. Sometimes, to find balance, we must lose it so that we find our way back and not take it for granted. So take a deep because today is a new day and anything is possible. Commit to yourself that today will be the day that you will seek to achieve balance and that working out will be part of your life.
    2. PUT IT ON THE CALENDAR
      When you are setting up your calendar for the week, make sure to include a time slot for working out and don’t change it. It is set in stone. Whether it is once a week or four,  creating a set time for working out will make it part of your life and on your way to becoming a more balanced you.
    3. WORK-OUT CLOSE TO WORK
      In my personal experience, the closer I get to home after a long day of work, the less I want to work out and the more excuses I make to just go home.  So I suggest finding a gym or class that is close to work. That way, when you’re already in work mode, going to the gym is just part of your work schedule. And if the only time you can work out is at lunch? Great! You can go and be back at your desk in no time.
    4. SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING
      Let’s say that you intended to work out, and you signed up for a class, but your boss now wants you to stay late for a conference call. Don’t be discouraged. Just commit to doing something even if that means only 20 pushups. Something is always better than nothing. It is that mental commitment that keeps you consistent and balanced in both mind and body.
    5. PAY FOR A CLASS IN ADVANCE
      There have been many times in my life where I didn’t want to work out but felt obligated because I had already paid for the class or trainer and would be charged if I didn’t go. Not once have I gone and regretted it afterwards. I’m always glad I went and I always feel better. So make it a point to pay for your workout in advance so it forces you to go. As annoying as it is, you’ll thank yourself for going and for the gym for holding you to it.

AnnaMaria Lance
    Participant

I am glad I stumbled onto your site.  I need motivation and set plan of action with work, exercise, food.

I would love to know where I can get some of these inspirational sayings on poster from Lorna Jane so I can display at work

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.